* Otrivin (Xylometazoline hydrochloride) 0.05% Nasal Drops Solution 15 ml. Children’s formula (For infants and small children up to 6 years). Moisturizing formula. For the treatment of colds. Local vasoconstrictor for nasal decongestion.
* Otrivin is a nasal decongestant that quickly clears blocked noses. The moisturizing formula also contains soothing ingredients that help prevent dryness and irritation of the nasal passages.
* What Otrivin used for?
– Otrivin clears your stuffy nose fast so you can breathe easier. Otrivin is used for the relief of blocked nose caused by colds, hay fever or other allergic rhinitis, sinusitis.
– The effect of Otrivin starts within minutes and lasts for up to 10 hours. It is well tolerated, even by patients with a sensitive nasal mucosa.
– Otrivin may also be used in ear infections to help decongest the nasopharygneal mucosa. It may also be prescribed by your docotr in the event of examination of the nose.
* Indications / Scope of Use:
– Colds of various types.
– To aid drainage of secretions in affections of the paranasal sinuses.
– In otitis media, as an adjuvant to decongest the nasopharyngeal mucosa.
– To facilitate rhinoscopy.
* Check before you use Otrivin:
# Do not use Otrivin if:
– you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
– you have undergone recent transnasal surgery.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if any of the above apply because Otrivin is not suitable for you in these circumstances.
# Check with your doctor or pharmacist before using Otrivin if:
– you have high blood pressure, heart disease, overactive thyroid, glaucoma or diabetes.
– you are taking antidepressant medicine.
If any of the above apply, do not use Otrivin before talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
Like other vasoconstrictors, Otrivin should not be employed in status post transsphenoidal hypophysectomy (or after transnasal or transoral surgical interventions in which the dura mater has been exposed), nor should it be used by patients known to be hypersensitive to substances contained in it.
– Otrivin, like all other preparations belonging to the same class of active substances, should be used only with caution in patients showing a strong reaction to sympathomimetic agents, as evidenced by signs of insomnia, dizziness, etc.
– As in the case of other local vasoconstrictors. Otrivin should not be employed uninterruptedly over prolonged periods, e.g. in chronic colds.
– Do not use for more than 5 days to avoid congestion.
* If pregnant or breast-feeding: Do not use Otrivin during pregnancy or breast-feeding, unless recommended by your doctor.
– Pregnancy category C.
– In view of this vasoconstricting properties women should take care not to use Otrivin during pregnancy.
– During lactation Otrivin should only be used under medical supervision.
* How to use Otrivin?
For infants and children up to 6 years of age (with adult supervision):
1 – 2 drops into each nostril once or twice daily (every 8 to 10 hours) are generally sufficient; do not exceed a total of 3 applications daily into each nostril.
* Instructions for use / handling:
1. Blow your nose.
2. Till the head back as far as is comfortable or, if lying on a bed, hang the head over the side.
3. Apply the drops into each nostril and keep the head tilted back for a short time to allow the drops to spread throughout the nose.
4. Replace cap right after use.
* Missed doses:
If you miss a dose and you remember within one hour or so of the missed dose, use it right away. However if you do not remember until later, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
* Not to be taken by mouth.
* Do not use for more than one week without doctor’s advice.
* Protect from heat. Do not store above 30 degrees C.
XYLOMETAZOLINE HCL 0.05% (0.5MG/1ML)