* Azithromycin is an azalide group, a subclass of the macrolides. Broad Spectrum Antibiotic.
it is indicated for the treatment of infections caused by sensitive organisms:
1- Lower respiratory tract infections: community-acquired pneumonia, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, acute bronchitis due to Haemophilus influenza, Moraxella catarrhalis or Streptococcus pneumonia.
2- Upper respiratory tract infections: ear, nose and throat infections like tonsillitis, sinusitis, otitis media & pharyngitis.
3- Skin/skin structure and soft tissue infections: furunculosis and impetigo due to Staphylococcus aureus, S-pyogenes or S-agalaciae.
4- Sexually transmitted diseases: due to N-gonorrhoeae and chlamydia trachomatis.
* Dosage & Administration:
3 day regimen
– It should be administered as a single daily dose at least 1 hour before food or 2 hours after.
– Adults: (more than 15 years old): in mild to moderate acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic pulmonary disease, pneumonia, pharyngitis/tonsillitis && uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections. The dose is 500mg once daily for three days.
– For sexually transmitted diseases give a single 1gm dose. If caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae give single 2gm dose.
– Children > 45 Kg: doses as per adults.